Every year, firefighters put out a significant number of home fires caused by candle flames. At least half of these fires are caused when a lit candle is placed too close to something combustible, such as a set of curtains or a stack of books.
If your home or office suffers from a candle fire, aside from having to pay for damages, your insurance rates could rise as well.
Fortunately, you can still enjoy the soothing atmosphere a candle provides without the health and home risks of a flame.
A flameless candle looks very similar to a standard wax and wick candle. However, it functions via a battery-operated LED light operated by batteries instead of a flame. Most flameless candles are still made from wax, and some even have a slight scent. There are even flameless tea lights that can be placed in candleholders or wall sconces for an added look.
The LED light flickers just as a flame would to provide that signature ambiance a candle is known for. Some flameless candles have a timer inside them that allows you to set them to come on at a certain time and turn off hours later.
These candles are much safer for your home. There’s no risk of fire, and you can place them on bookshelves or near fabrics that would normally pose a threat. You can also use them during a storm or power outage, and carry them or fall asleep without worry.
Since there’s no melting wax or burning wick, flameless candles can be used over and over. This means you’ll never have to purchase candles again.
The next time you light a candle, consider purchasing a flameless one. The safety and financial benefits outweigh those of a standard candle by far.
* * *
Home is Where the Health Is is written & published by Thompson Plumbing Heating & Cooling
(Photo via Flickr)