If you live in an area that experiences a lot of rain and/or humidity, a dehumidifier is a wise investment. Not only can a dehumidifier help you combat a musty-smelling basement, a dehumidifier can improve your health.
Especially during rainy seasons, excessive moisture can act as breeding grounds for mold and dust mites, creating health problems for people with respiratory illness or allergies. Even if you don’t have a chronic health issue, mold, dust and mildew can cause respiratory discomfort and irritation. High humidity also attracts disease-carrying pests like roaches and mosquitos.
An ideal indoor humidity level is 45 percent. Higher levels facilitate mold and bacteria growth. If your indoor humidly level is above 45 percent, it’s time to start shopping for a dehumidifier.
Look for an energy-efficient unit (signified by the EPA’s Energy Star label) with easy-to-use controls and a removable tank or an automatic drain via a sump-pump or sink. Also make sure that the dehumidifier is the right size for the area that needs de-humidifying.
* * *
Home is Where the Health Is is written and published by Thompson Plumbing Heating & Cooling